At Aldryngton, we value the importance of developing physical activity on pupil health, wellbeing and development. We believe firmly in the benefits of competitive sport and daily exercise. Our approach to physical activity can be defined as:
- A P.E. scheme used throughout the school to ensure progression in each sport/ strand of P.E.
- Purposeful cross-curricular P.E. links such as measuring the pulse rate in relation to physical activity in science.
- Staff are encouraged to engage children with the daily mile and/or 5 minute indoor P.E. challenges throughout the day.
- Lunchtime staff are encouraged to lead physical activities for the children. There is also use of sports leaders (depending on status of Covid risk assessment) to support active play at lunchtimes.
- Range of extra-curricular clubs in a broad range of sports.
- Encouragement through use of initiatives such as ‘Walk to School’ to ensure that the large majority of pupils arrive either by walking, cycling or scooting into school.
- Additional swimming lessons in our own swimming pool that far exceed the minimum requirements set out in the National Curriculum.
- Range of inter and intra competitions set out throughout the year.
- Links to external clubs that we can signpost families to.
- Tracking levels of participation and activity both inside and outside the curriculum and consulting with pupils, family and staff to promote physical activity.